Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ignorance is not bliss

I just found the phone. I didn't know that I had lost it, but at some point I became aware of a small voice repeating the same sequence over and over again, and a search of the talking mouse led to the phone that was lying under the couch, and from which a voice came that chimed the ominous mantra: "Your code has been accepted. You now have access to the site untill you break the connection". It had been singing this song for 40 minutes already, and who knows how long and how many times it had sung this before.

Who was it that said it is easier to raise boys than girls?

The perpetrator had already gone to bed. Needless to say I have given him the scare of his life and he is paying this phone bill out of his own pocket money. By the looks of it he will still be paying it off when he turns 21. I am also filing a complaint with the phone provider and with OPTA, because this seems to me a far too easy way for semi legal businesses to rob unsuspecting people of their money.

7 comments:

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Weren't you just laughing at me because I have girls and you have a boy? LOL Seriously, I must be stupid because I haven't figured out his crime? To Whom or what was the phone connected?

Pietro said...

A message repeated endlessly at the phone: with a rechargeable card of few euros the credit would have soon annulled, so a gigantic bill would not exist, no? :-)

Cuckoo said...

Ha Ha Ha....
Ooops I should not laugh at such a serious matter.

But seriously, raising a boy or a girl has equal dose of madness. Grass is always greener on the other side.

thyme said...

Pietro: It was a fixed phone. I have heard that the costs of only Saturday have rised to 250 Euro. If you add Sunday and monday which they could not tell yet, it may rise well over 1000 Euro.

SMB: there are webcamsites which give access once you call a number on the phone, as long as the connection is not broken.

Dick said...

Oooohhhh, dat moet wel heel veel geld gekost hebben. Gelukkig heb ik prepaid dan kan er niet zoveel mis gaan.........denk ik.

thyme said...

Heb je geen vaste telefoonaansluiting?

Mijn zoon is zwakbegaafd, bovendien is hij minderjarig en heeft de website op geen enkel moment om een bevestiging gevraagd dat hij boven de 18 was. Ik ga er werk van maken, het is veel te makkelijk voor websites om op deze manier geld uit mensen te kloppen. Sinds wanneer is mijn telefoon een flappentap?

One Slick Chick said...

Ahh....aren't boys fun? Especially teenage boys. Ugh...