monster mushrooms



I went looking for mushrooms in the area. I didn't see many. But this is very wet land, there aren't any typical old mushroom forests. There's a relatively young bit of forest just outside the dyke bordering the river. The plant life is not very rich, the ground is mostly covered with nettles. The soil is pure clay. I imagine mushrooms like more mulchy soil. I found one little cluster growing on a tree stump.

In general I am not sorry that there aren't many mushrooms around. They are nothing but the fruits of a big underground mould and I don't like moulds! They better stay away from my house and the woodwork, and I am absolutely phobic about mushrooms in my rafters.

There were some more in a drier area near a bridge, where I remember seeing mushrooms in other years. I think these mushrooms are big this year. They are growing in a number of large clusters. I didn't photograph the biggest clump because it looked too dirty and ragged.

The individual mushrooms here seemed a bit grown out of proportion, they look like bread that has risen too much in the oven, with the crust cracked and the top breaking open.

Mushrooms
paddestoelenpol
Drawing mushrooms doesn't really work for me.

Comments

  1. Those are wonderful sketches. The mushrooms around here can be vibrant and beautiful. Some look like turkey feathers. Others are magenta. I like your comparison to bread of that one cluster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That young 'forest' is that where the 'MS Voorwaarts' is parked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think so... do you know more than I do? The MS Voorwaarts was the ferry to Texel wasn't it? It is very near a museum harbour. But since the MS Voorwaarts must have been a sea- ship I doubt she's there. There were two river boats in the harbour. I didn't see a sea ferry...

    It's only a forest because we haven't had any floods in a long time. The older trees must be about thirty to forty years old. I always find it a bit eery because of the lack of animal life. But there are tracks. No pigs, no deer, but plenty of tree houses. Didn't spot any needles or condoms, I think the kids are keeping an eye on things ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The MS Voorwaarts is an old barge from approx. 1920.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you take that picture?

    It could be one of those boats, but I think the location is different. At least there are many more reeds now, and I didn't take a good look at the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think around here.

    It was between Shrinks-upon-Leakage and Shrinks-upon-the-Icecell. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think around here.

    It was between Shrinks-upon-Leakage and Shrinks-upon-the-Icecell. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a very nice post. I always spend a good time in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Pietro! I like visiting your blog too, I have added it to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Xiwel, it must have been somewhere near here then. Actually this is Bends around the Leakage. The weapon of our village features three Bending (shrinking) Moons. The "museum harbour" is a little bit more towards Sweet Church but I could probably find that boat of yours back, at least the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting, I have never seen mushrooms so big and your drawings are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice, the sketches are beautiful I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooooh! The middle-sketch is magical.
    It has a Beatrix Potter feel to it because of the quality of the lines and aquarelle-like colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment